As a competition dancer, you will start at the Beginner Grade and progress through each of the competition levels until reaching the highest level, Open Championship. Dancers must earn the required placement in their dances in order to advance to the next level. Foley Academy thoroughly prepares dancers for competitions, if that is their desire. Therefore, we ensure that they receive competition-style steps and feedback during class. This feedback not only helps them improve their technique, musicality, and style, but also their confidence to execute a winning performance on stage.
- Beginner Grade: A competitor who has not taken a full year of Irish Dance lessons. A Beginner must move into Advanced Beginner the next year.
- Advanced Beginner Grade: A competitor who wins 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place will advance to Novice in that particular dance.
- Novice Grade: A competitor who wins a 1st place in a dance will advance to Prizewinner in that particular dance.
- Prizewinner Grade: A competitor who does not qualify as a Beginner, Advanced Beginner, or Novice.
- Preliminary Championship: A competitor who has won 1st place in each Prizewinner dance.
- Open Championship: A competitor who has won two 1st place awards.
- Adult: A competitor who never took Irish Dancing lessons as a juvenile and is over 18 years of age.